6.04.2011

in a flash

The other day I was driving to my sister-in-law's house with my husband's cousin the front seat and Miss S, Lil J and my little brother-in-law (okay, he's not really little - he's 6'3" and growing) in the back seat.  I noticed that there was a ghost car beside me so I made sure I was going the speed limit.  All of a sudden, rain started pouring down - almost like a torrential downpour - just as I started driving down a little hill when all of a sudden, in a flash, a car darted out into our lane and all I saw was two cars veering into my lane.  I had to slam on my brakes and my tires were just skidding because of the hill and the slick roads.  All the while, I'm trying to avoid the curb and the car beside me which was swerving into my car.  Luckily we were fine but the car just ahead of us ended up hitting the idiot that thought it would be a bright idea to turn left into oncoming traffic.  Damn Vancouver drivers!

My heart was beating so fast and I was slightly shaking after that incident.  We had come so close to an accident and all I could think about was how thankful I was that the kids were unharmed in the backseat.  If the person behind us wasn't paying attention, we could have easily been rear-ended.  Just in an instant.  In a flash.

It gets me thinking about how life is so precious.  The next day we attended a funeral for our niece and nephew's mother who died of cancer at the age of 34.  So young.  It was our second funeral in less than a month for two wonderful women who succumbed to the same illness and whom were related to my husband's family.

Life. Is. So. Precious.

Today...just take a second to reflect on your life and your loved ones.  Try not to take everything and everyone around you for granted.  Be thankful for what you have.  Because you never know when everything will be taken away from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment